Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My First Trip with Mom to her Radiation...
























I told my Dad that I would like to help take mom to Radiation sometimes, as she needs to go 5 days a week for 7 weeks. On Monday, Dad picked me up and decided to still go, because he wanted to show me the way there. Well, this was an interesting experience to say the least. Everyone at the Huntsman Cancer Center is so nice. They call you by your first name and their goal there is to know everyone. One Nurse practitioner (a man) always calls mom happy and beautiful, because mom is always smiling and acts like this is nothing that she is going through. I thought that everyone would be interested in seeing what she has to do on a daily basis....When you arrive you check in and you have to wait. Sometimes they wait for a long time and other times, they take you right in. I brought Abbi with me, so she can get to know her grandma. We loaded her up with snacks, crayons, and movies on the laptop...










Before mom actually started her Radiation, they molded this mask on her face to cover the rest of her head for the Radiation. This is an interesting process. So...everyday when she comes, they place this waffle type mask on her face, which is kind of tight. The machine spins around her head with these red laser type lights pointing directly to the tumor. Her body spins around too. I asked the nurse if people get cholosterphobia and he said all of the time, but mom said that she doesn't, which is good! This process made me truly realize how serious this is and it made me appreciate all of the other people that I know who have had to go through this. Mom makes it look like a piece of cake, however, there were terribly sick people coming in and out and your heart truly felt sad. My Dad is a trooper and wants to be by my mom's side at every waking second. I can't believe how strong they both are! We love you mom and Dad....I will look forward to this process every monday and look forward to the opportunity to finally take care of her after all of the years that she took care of me!



















This is us leaving after her treatment, she's still smiling...


Abbi was so good that I bribed her with a stuffed animal from the gift shop.

3 comments:

Shalyse said...

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to see what she does everyday! She is a TROOPER and you guys too for taking her all that way. I wish we could be there to help too! She is so cute, me and brian were laughing that she was just grinning away on that table...she's just the happiest lady ever, huh?!?! Abbi is so stinkin cute too!

Mama Mia said...

Go Linda! We love you! How interesting to see the radiation machine! Abbi is such a good girl what a great experience for her to see the Huntsman Cancer Institute!

Anonymous said...

Well said.